Saturday, December 31, 2011

Mom I want some too!

Hi, my name is Aggie and I have a daughter with food allergies.  After months of dealing with a sick baby we found out that she was allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, and wheat.  In addition to those, we were told to avoid tree nuts and not to introduce fish or shellfish until she is much older.  Well My daughter is 4 now and has outgrown her wheat allergy.  I used to love to bake and spending time in the kitchen was relaxing for me.  For the first year after her diagnosis I hated the kitchen.  You see, our doctor (who I LOVE) sent us away from his office that first day with a four page list of ingredients I couldn't use, but didn't give any information on what we could have.  It kind of set my mind to a certain way of thinking that we couldn't have things.  In reality we can, and do, have all those things now.  It took my daughter looking at me, with her big sad eyes, and saying "Mom but I want some too"  That's when I really started doing research and found replacements for everything!  In the world of food allergies it is relatively easy to find something to eat, but not nearly as simple to find something good to eat.  My hope is that this blog will introduce delicious foods into some  limited diets, and hopefully it will expand my recipe book too.  My plan is to take a "normal" recipe and convert it into a "safe" one. I plan to attempt to conquer things like finding an adequate replacement for whipped cream, cheesecake, and making brownies.  To those of you who are new to food allergies, brownies are kind of impossible.  I will bake one each week all year and let you know how it goes, sharing both my successes and failures.  Hope you like a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment