Saturday, December 31, 2011

Carrot Pineapple Cake

I am going to try to make most of my recipes using everyday ingredients.  However, on this one I used the ener-G egg replacer.  I love this cake so I hope you do too.

2 cups sugar
2/3 c. canola oil
2/3 c. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. baking soda
1 pound bag of shredded carrots
1 of the small cans crushed pineapple
4 1/2 tsp egg replacer +6Tbsp. seltzer water

Preheat the oven to 350*F and grease two 8 inch cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
First mix the egg replacer and seltzer water and set aside, it will foam up.  In a large bowl I combined the sugar, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.  Separately I combined the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and baking soda then stir it into liquid bowl.  Add the pineapple and carrots.  Gently fold in the egg replacer, but make sure it is all combined.   Bake for approximately 45 minutes.

The first time I made this cake the outside was a bit crispy around the edge and it was rounded on the top(no good for stacking).  I bought these strips from Wilton that you soak in water then wrap around you cake pan while baking.  They work really well.  The second cake came out very moist and even, no crumbs or crunchy spots around the edges.  I am a cheater when it comes to frosting.  Pillsbury makes a few frostings that are safe for us, only wheat and soy, so I called to check for cross contamination and was told that  they use "may contain" statements on all their products, so it really is safe for us.  I used their cream cheese frosting and the cake turned out great!  I had to pull my daughter out of the kitchen several times over the last few days because she keeps snitching more bites.  For those of you who are disappointed in the canned frosting all I can say is that I plan to figure our how to make it from scratch, and will let you know when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment