Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cinnamon Flop

If you don't know I am totally addicted to sugar.  I woke up this morning and really wanted sweets, so off to the internet to find something suitable for breakfast.  I came across something called cinnamon flop and well, if it has sugar and cinnamon I'm probably going to love it.  So I took 2 recipe's and adapted them and came up with something in between.  It had cinnamon and it was a flop......literally.  So I tried again and this one is much better.  It has a different texture, almost egg like.  I would akin it to french toast in texture, but not taste.

For the cake
1/2 c. sugar
1c. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. soy milk
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar ( you can use white if you don't have apple)

For the Topping
3 Tbsp. butter ( earth balance)
1/4 c. brown sugar
2/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Glaze
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. soy milk

First preheat your oven to 350*F and grease and flour a 9" cake pan.  When you use baking soda and vinegar for leavening, you have to mix them at the last moment and get it into the oven right away.  I learned this lesson the hard way(many times) before I had it figured out.  That being said, I make the topping first. melt the earth balance and then add the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon and mix until combined.  It will be dry and crumbly.  For the cake, mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and then pour the soy milk and vinegar on and stir it quickly, but gently.  The thing is, when the baking soda and vinegar react, they immediately start bubbling and if you stir it too much you will end up with a really flat flop.  So pour the batter into the pan and sprinkle the topping on top and bake for 30 minutes.  For the glaze mix the powdered sugar and soy milk,  it will be a bit lumpy.  Then drizzle it on top of the cake after you pull it out.  Let the flop cool a bit before pulling it out of the pan.  I just ran a knife along the edge, lifted it with a fork and it slid right out onto the plate.  I would serve this warm.  It is way better that way.


No comments:

Post a Comment