Monday, January 9, 2012

Almost Rocky Road Ice Cream

Ok, well my adventures in ice cream didn't start well.  I went to the store to get some soy creamer and found two options.  Silk, which had a "may contain tree nuts" or Organic Valley, which didn't say anything.  So I took it home and called the company to check for possible cross contaminants.  The lady who answered told me they make it in the same factory as egg nog, so I ask "is it on the same equipment?"   The lovely woman's response "I don't know!  There is no way for me to tell you that!"  followed by a giggle.  Thanks so much Organic Valley.  Now I'm on my own.  I really do have to make this ice cream from scratch!  It is very thick and ridiculously creamy.  Be forewarned, you will need a blender and an ice cream machine.  Here it is.

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Ice Cream


 1 1/8 c. soy milk + an additional 1 cup
1/4 c. canola oil
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. arrowroot
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. chocolate chips + an additional 1/2 c.
1/2 c. mini marshmallows torn in half
First mix 1/3 c. soy milk and the arrowroot and leave setting.  Now get your blender out and pour in 1/8 c. soy milk and blend until a bit frothy.  Continue blending and pour the oil in slowly, followed by the maple syrup, vanilla, and finally a cup of soy milk.  Once thoroughly blended, pour this mixture into a pan along with 2/3 c. soy milk, cocoa, sugar, and 1/2 c. chocolate chips.  Bring it to a boil on the stove (it takes forever) and then take it off the heat and add the arrowroot/soy milk mixture and stir, stir stir.  It will become the consistency of pudding.  Put it in the fridge until it is cold then place in your ice cream machine and follow its directions.  Add in the final amount of chocolate chips and little marshmallows with 10 minutes to go on your machines cycle.  I was a bit impatient the first time around and only waited until the mixture was mostly cool.  Of course it didn't set up but on a positive note it made some pretty tasty pudding.  Next time I'm going to make a caramel sauce and fold it in after the machine is done.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment