Friday, February 17, 2012

banana split bars

Banana Split Bars


So after a week of munching on that s'mores cake I kinda had my fill of sweets.  Then I was looking around in the kitchen and decided to throw something together while I was waiting on supper to cook.  I remembered a friend talking about how she put teddy grahams with chocolate chips and banana's and baked it.  It was a hit!  I thought why not make a bar.  So I put together a dough, then decided why not add strawberries too, so I did.  Along with chocolate chips and marshmallows.  I was trying to think of what to call these things while they were cooking.  The question resolved itself in the first bite!  I'm so glad that I decided to add the strawberry preserves, because the combo is great.  These are gooey and crumbly and we didn't wait for it to cool all the way so we had to eat them with forks, but YUM!

Banana Split Bars
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. rolled oats (I blended mine)
1/2 c. margarine melted (I used blue bonnet light)
2 or 3 scoops strawberry preserve
1/2  bag chocolate chips (enjoy life)
1 banana
2 handfuls of mini marshmallows

Preheat your oven to 350*F and grease an 8x8 pan.  mix the brown sugar, flour, baking soda, oats, and butter.  Once combined, pat the mixture into the bottom of your pan.  Spread the strawberry preserves on top and then chop the banana and arrange it on top.  bake for 15 minutes.  Pull the oven door open and sprinkle on the chocolate chips and bake another 12 minutes.  Then pop the oven open one more time and add the marshmallows to the top and bake until they are golden, about 5 minutes.  Finally cool, cut, and enjoy!




Update  I put these in the fridge last night and my husband and I both had some today.  It is REALLY good cold.  I think I'm gonna break some up and stir it into vanilla ice cream for our next batch!

No comments:

Post a Comment