Saturday, March 31, 2012

Chocolate Cake Mix

Sometimes I wish I had a cake mix.  I know there are some available out there, but I can't justify spending the extra money when I can do it myself.  From time to time I need to come up with a dessert fast and mixes are just so easy.  I am working on making a few dry mixes to keep in the pantry for when I'm in a pinch.  I am going to do chocolate, yellow, white, and maybe a couple cookie mixes.  First off is chocolate cake (at my daughters request) because we have a birthday party to attend tonight.  This recipe makes a big batch (9x13 pan or  two 9"rounds) so you may want to half the recipe.


Cake Mix
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda

On the bag, you will see, I wrote the wet ingredients on there that will need to be added.

Wet Ingredients
2 cups water
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp. vanilla 
2 Tbsp. Vinegar

So when you are ready to make the cake, mix the wet and dry ingredients until combined.  Be careful not to over stir.  Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan and bake at 375*F for 25 minutes.


I am using the chocolate frosting recipe from the smore's cake today but in a pinch I also have some cherry brook kitchen frosting in the pantry.  I guess I should add some frosting mixes to my list as well.  

On a side note, are your ready for Easter?  This year my daughter really wanted to dye eggs.  She was begging and even said " I promise I won't eat them!"  I just couldn't do it though, so instead we came to a compromise.  Paper mache eggs.  I mixed one cup flour with 5 cups water and brought it to a boil on the stove top until it was thick then left it to cool.  We blew up balloons and dipped some torn up tissue paper in the glue and ended up with these.  


I will be cutting out the balloons and we will fill them with smarties and finally cover the holes with the leftover material. 

No comments:

Post a Comment